Balinese food is a rich blend of spices and sauces with vegetables and meat. Rice is the staple food in Bali and comes as an accompaniment with most of the dishes. The best way to try local food is from warungs (food stall) and night markets.
These are some of my personal favorites:
1. Nasi Goreng: The most famous fried rice comes in various combinations with seafood, chicken or vegetarian. You can never go wrong with this. This was my late night grab post dinner 😛
2. Mie Goreng: a flavorful and spicy fried noodles dish with vegetables and meat. I think I had this for breakfast and lunch on all days 🙂
3. Ayam Panggang: Grilled chicken served with white rice, boiled beans and bean sprouts.
4. Sate: Various variety of sate can be found- chicken, beef or lamb
5. Gado-Gado: Vegetarian salad with a peanut sauce. Its base is boiled long beans, spinach, and bean sprouts coupled with cucumber, tofu and tempe (soy product).
6. Martabak: A spongy, thick crepe stuffed with meat, chocolate or peanut sauce. You can find this at many stalls along roadside.
7. Udang saus mentega: Succulent Prawns in a rich butter sauce served with white rice. Being a coastal place, seafood never disappoints.
8. Nasi Padang: steamed rice served with various choices of vegetables, meat and sambal
9. Cap cai: Stir fried vegetables stew. Always good to fulfill your veggie intake 🙂
10. Rice porridge: This is a local sweet dish served at many buffets. Its very rich and delicious served with coconut milk
Being a busy tourist destination there are many restaurants offering various cuisines including Indonesian, Italian, Mexican, Western, Indian and more. Do not worry, you will never go hungry in Bali 🙂
Read more about my trip to Bali in my post 5 days in Bali.